Serena is a personal trainer & yoga instructor. And at the risk of making this sound like a biased post, she is also one of my best friends. We worked together as Equinox trainers and when I wanted to enter the world of yoga, I enlisted her help (best decision I ever made because I absolutely fell in love with yoga and got a new BFF!).
We were practicing together while I was starting TONIC and between all of her sore muscles from working out on top of chronic pain from a previous injury, Serena was my perfect tester!
I knew that she was trying it at first to be a nice lady and support her friend, but then (I love witnessing these moments) I saw the look on her face when she realized it actually worked!
Since then Serena has been hooked, and I really do consider that a testament to the product – she isn’t the type to waste her money or time on something she doesn’t like or believe in … and she has no problem expressing that! Seriously, I’ve seen her in action.
So, I wanted Serena to share her story and be the inaugural post in our new TONIC TRIBE Spotlight Series – a collection of stories/testimonials/knowledge from real TONIC customers.
**if you’d like to contribute & be featured, please email me!! email@example.com**
Enjoy Serena’s story & follow her on social (@theyogijedi) for yoga/fitness content, pictures of her cats & some posts on how she incorporates Chill TONIC into her meditation and relaxation rituals!
“I am a personal trainer and yoga instructor. I weight train, run, practice yoga, and hike or walk pretty regularly. Needless to say, I am pretty active. As any active person could testify to, I have the typical aches and pains that go along with leading that type lifestyle. Thanks to a car accident several years ago, I also suffer from chronic pain and muscle tightness in my neck and upper back.
Sometimes, a spasm can travel all the way into the base of my skull. If it gets bad enough, I’ll get migraines and they can be debilitating. In addition to the throbbing and discomfort that comes with a normal headache, my migraines trigger light sensitivity, dizziness, and nausea. When a migraine hits, it is extremely difficult for me to get out of bed, much less drive my car and get to work. If I don’t work, I don’t make money.
For a long time, I turned to ibuprofen more often than not in order to alleviate the discomfort I felt. Oftentimes that meant taking it daily. Sometimes twice a day.
Why is this a problem? Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and it does its job well enough; it would relieve my neck pain and reduce the risk of a debilitating migraine, so, where’s the issue?
- For starters, the problem with NSAIDs (or any systemic drug for that matter) is that they can affect the entire body, not just the area that hurts. So, while it may treat one problem, it is likely that it’ll cause a different reaction elsewhere in the body.
- Secondly, the most common side effect of prolonged usage of NSAIDs (for example: Advil, Bayer, Motrin IB, Aleve) is damage to your gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, and small intestine).
- NSAIDs have also been linked to causing bleeding ulcers and in some individuals, high blood pressure and kidney damage. Yikes.
We eat healthy in my house for the most part. Even our cleaning supplies, detergents, and soaps are natural. Most of my beauty products are also natural – did you know that an ingredient in a lot of mascara is bat shit? Bat shit. IN YOUR EYE! Really makes you stop and think about what else might be in your beauty products.
So, if I live a healthy lifestyle by eating right, exercising, and being mindful about what products go on top of my skin (our body’s largest organ, by the way), how could I continue to use NSAIDs at that kind of frequency? The reason for that is that I never found a natural product that actually worked for me.
…until I tried TONIC. I started off using Warrior, which Brittany gave me for my sore muscles during our yoga practice one day, but then when my chronic neck pain was really acting up, she had me try Chronic instead; it was a game changer.
I know I can feel comfortable recommending TONIC to my clients and yoga students to help them manage their muscle and joint pain because
- TONIC is an open book. All of the product ingredients (which are minimal and organic) are clearly listed and explained on the website and directly on the packaging. You know exactly what you’re putting in your body (oh, yes – anything applied to your skin is a direct shot into your bloodstream, so it’s no joke).
- Chronic & Warrior TONIC are topical applications, not oral. Therefore, it’s applied directly to the area that needs attention, unlike NSAIDs.
- Most importantly, it works. And it works quickly.
I carry my TONIC in gym bag and when there’s even the slightest hint of something brewing in my neck and traps, I apply it, massage it into my tender spots and don’t have to think about it again. I can get ahead of a potential spasm quickly and safely and because of this, I don’t suffer from as many migraines anymore! Game. Changer.”