Black Seed Oil is a crucial part of the TONIC's Special Sauce is still a mystery to a lot of you out there. So, here is a breakdown of BSO (Nigella Sativa) & all of its mind-blowing benefits.
What is Black Seed Oil?
Native to South/Southwest Asia, BSO is also known as Nigella Sativa, Black Cumin Seed, or by its Arabic name – Haba-al-barakah, which means ‘the seed of blessing’.
Many health experts claim that Black Seed Oil is a true panacea: it is able to help treat everything from allergies to hypertension (it is often said that it can treat everything except death).
Black Seed Oil has been applied topically and taken orally for thousands of years to help ailments from bruises and bad hair to colds and snakebites to headaches and indigestion. Since 1965 nearly 1000 scientific articles have been published about Nigella Sativa, documenting its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, anticancer and immune-enhancing properties. Human studies have been more prolific the past couple of decades and has helped scientists pinpoint some more specific benefits.
Phytochemicals: The Source of Black Seed Oil’s Powers
Black Seed Oil is rich in 3 key natural chemicals:
Found to be best antifungal compound against all tested dermatophytes (pathogenic fungus that grows on skin, mucous membranes, hair, nails) and yeasts
One of the most potent natural acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitors.
- AChE inhibitors are chemicals that stop enzyme activity therefore increasing the amount of acetylcholine that remains active in the brain and increasing the time that it stays active.
We have all heard of AChE inhibitors in passing on medicine commercials, etc but here is a little breakdown of what they are useful for treating:
- Apathy, alzheimers, autism, glaucoma, dementia, neurodegenerative conditions, schizophrenia, parkinson’s
- With so many pharmaceutical AChE inhibitors that come with adverse side effects being prescribed everyday, an all-natural alternative that doesn’t carry any of those side effects is an amazing discovery!!
- Found to be best antifungal against molds
- One of the most potent natural acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitors.
In a study published in the Egyptian Journal of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, scientists tested Thymol, TQ & THQ against 30 human patheogens and were surprised to discover that each compound showed 100% inhibition for the 30 pathogens evalutated.
This study essentially proves that fungus and mold cannot exist in the presence of these phytochemicals, so it is no wonder why researchers are seeking to solve the superbug problem with Black Seed Oil.
The research on Black Seed Oil and its ability to treat “superbugs” is perhaps the most promising.
These multi-drug resistant bugs are becoming a significant public health risk according to the National Institute of Public Health.
- A study conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College researchers set out to determine just how potent black seed oil against some of these superbugs and pared it against several antibiotics, such as Amoxicillin, Gatifloxacin and Tetracycline. According to the study, “Out of 144 strains tested, most of which were resistant to a number of antibiotics, 97 were inhibited by the oil of black cumin.”
The liver is one of the most important organs in the body. Nearly ever toxin gets processed through the liver and the bile from the liver is the key to digesting fats and keeping your mind and body happy and healthy. Liver function can be slowed due to medications, alcohol, or poor diet, but Black Seed Oil has been shown to be able to greatly speed up the liver’s healing process. In a recent study, scientists discovered that black seed oil benefits the function of the liver and helps prevent both damage and disease.
Explained in a recent article published by the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, researchers from the Indian Council of Medical Research highlight that black seed oil “causes gradual partial regeneration of pancreatic beta-cells, increases the lowered serum insulin concentrations and decreases the elevated serum glucose.” This is actually quite profound because Nigella sativa is one of the few substances on the planet that is suggested to help prevent both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
In fact, according to the study, black seed “improves glucose tolerance as efficiently as metformin; yet it has not shown significant adverse effects and has very low toxicity.” This is HUGE because metformin, one of the most commonly prescribed type 2 diabetes drugs, can cause a wide slew of side effects.
Nigella Sativa hasn’t traditionally been used as a treatment for obesity, but its ability to lower inflammation and allow for more efficient bodily processes combined with its ability to lower these weight-gain triggers:
- Glucose absorption in the intestine
- Liver gluconeogenesis
- Blood glucose levels
makes Black Seed Oil an important supplement to combine with a healthy diet and workout regimen for maximal weight loss results.
- A study of 90 obese women found that adding black seed oil to a low-calorie diet produced more weight loss than the diet alone. And a study of 250 men found that black seed oil by itself, or in combination with turmeric, produced some weight loss and reduced risk factors for diabetes.
Amino Acid Profile
Black Seed Oil contains 15 amino acids, including 8 of the 9 essential amino acids (histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine and tryptophan). It also contains arginine – a semi-essential amino acid necessary for various metabolic processes. Arginine can improve blood flow, boost the immune system and stimulate the release of insulin and growth hormone.
Black Seed Oil & Cancer
Croatian scientists evaluated the antitumor activity of thymoquinone and thymohydroquinone in mice and discovered that the two phytochemicals resulted in 52 percent decrease in tumor cells.
Being rich in both chemicals, black seed is unique in that it can help prevent and treat cancer in a variety of ways, including:
- Apoptosis induction
- Cell cycle arrest
- Reactive oxygen species generation